POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google : Re: Things you can't Google Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things you can't Google
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 17 Jul 2010 06:07:00
Message: <4c4180c4$1@news.povray.org>
>> Interestingly, my understanding is that "school uniforms" are usually *not*
>> paid for by the government, and the point of the uniforms is to avoid
>> distinguishing wealthy from poor. If everyone buys the same clothes, there's
>> no way to have a status symbol your parents bought for you in that way.
>
>   Wouldn't it thus make sense for the government to provide the uniforms?
> (Because, after all, not all parents might be able to afford them.)

Here's the fun part:

Some schools say "you must wear a blue shirt and black trousers", and
you go buy that from wherever. Other schools sell their own uniform
(usually with the school name embroidered on it). And they can basically
charge... whatever they like for it. It's a nice little source of income
for the school. (Schools are always whining about having insufficient
funds.)

uniform in order to do so". Nice...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/