POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead (Message 66 to 75 of 75)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
Date: 25 Jun 2010 19:42:35
Message: <4c253eeb$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Good point though... what was the creature's motivation in the original?
> (ignoring the deleted scenes with two cocooned crewmembers!)

Well, I wasn't ignoring that. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 25 Jun 2010 20:05:21
Message: <4c254441@news.povray.org>
On 6/24/2010 4:46 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I thought the second was better than the first, but I think the first
>> could be counted as better Sci Fi.
>
> I don't know why people really thought that. There are few movies where
> the sequel is as good as the original, and I'll grant Aliens held its
> own. But I didn't like it as much as Alien. Perhaps it was just because
> I was at the right age for Alien and too cynical by the time Aliens came
> out or something.

The comic relief was a point against it.

I felt the (fourth?) movie with Wynona Ryder was low quality the first
time I saw it. I thought the characters were caricatures straight out of
comic books. But I watched it again recently and sort of liked it.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

On 6/24/2010 4:48 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Also, even though they're not movies, I think there's been some very
> good science fiction television shows recently. Firefly and the remake
> of Battlestar Galatica come to mind.

Don't forget Farscape!

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> On 6/24/2010 4:48 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> Also, even though they're not movies, I think there's been some very
>> good science fiction television shows recently. Firefly and the remake
>> of Battlestar Galatica come to mind.
>
> Don't forget Farscape!

I actually have never seen it, although it seems that I should remedy that!

Post a reply to this message