POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 26 Jun 2010 08:40:00
Message: <web.4c25f425e32ca2094f28787e0@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <fee### [at] festercom> wrote:
> If they had such awesome weapons, why the heck didn't they use them?

That's a good question, but it's such a biggie that i felt it was a deliberate
attempt to preserve some mystery rather than an actual plot hole. Just like we
never really find out why the aliens are found all cowering in a cargo hold, or
why the ship turned up in the first place. There are obviously good reasons for
these, but the human characters never find out what they are. I like that as a
plot device, it leaves something for your imagination to chew on :)

> Too many human qualities were given to them. Or rather, other than
> appearance, there didn't seem to be a nonhuman character trait.
>
> And along with that, why judge the human's treatment of the aliens in
> the same way we would judge treating other humans?

I read somewhere that they deliberately made the aliens less 'alien' than they
could have, purely to ensure that the audience could empathize with the main
alien character.