POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 26 Jun 2010 02:11:40
Message: <87mxui9vb2.fsf@fester.com>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan <fee### [at] festercom> wrote:
>> Don't get me wrong - I really liked District 9. Just had some poor SF
>> aspects. A lot of my issues with it could have been resolved without
>> much effort. It just wasn't the director's goal.
>
> I'm sure you mentioned it when the movie was first released, but OOC what were
> your main issues with it?

If they had such awesome weapons, why the heck didn't they use them?

Too many human qualities were given to them. Or rather, other than
appearance, there didn't seem to be a nonhuman character trait.

And along with that, why judge the human's treatment of the aliens in
the same way we would judge treating other humans? The aliens aren't
humans, and human rights need not apply. It wasn't established till
quite late in the movie that perhaps they should (this may be
intentional, though).