POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead (Message 46 to 55 of 75)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
Date: 24 Jun 2010 16:04:35
Message: <4c23ba53@news.povray.org>

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 24 Jun 2010 16:05:34
Message: <4c23ba8e$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/06/2010 8:46 PM, Darren New wrote:

> Alien? (I never really heard any defensible complaints about it.)

How about I fell asleep before it finished?

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jun 2010 16:18:56
Message: <4c23bdb0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Well, that assumes that the book itself can be considered good sci-fi
> in the first place... :P

Well, sure. Obviously, there are some books that *are* considered good
sci-fi, at least by a large number of readers. There are even books that I'd
consider good sci-fi but which I personally didn't enjoy.

But many of the complaints I hear about "hard" science fiction, like
complaints about Blade Runner for example, are along the lines of "that
wasn't the same story as the book."  Not that there was anything
particularly wrong with the story as told, but only that it didn't meet the
expectations set by the book.

Of course, some complaints are completely valid. Like "why didn't the
department of pre-corrections turn off the eyeball access granted to the
fugitive murderer that used to be allowed in?" in Minority Report. A movie
which, I'll grant, was nothing at all like the book, and indeed completely
missed the entire point of the actual book story.

Didn't they make a Farenheit 451 movie? Was that any good? Or an Illustrated
Man movie?

There are huge numbers of "good" science fiction books that could be made
into decently good movies nowadays. Even some decent sci-fi I've read that
you could make suspenseful and all that good stuff without a huge budget.

What I want to know is why virtually every monster movie is zombies,
vampires, or werewolves? With maybe an occasional killer robot or black
lagoon creature thrown in.  Can't a horror writer come up with a decent
original monster?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:05:39 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 24/06/2010 8:46 PM, Darren New wrote:
>>
>> Alien? (I never really heard any defensible complaints about it.)
>
> How about I fell asleep before it finished?

I thought the second was better than the first, but I think the first
could be counted as better Sci Fi.

Falling asleep doesn't mean it's bad Sci Fi, though - I fell asleep
during Amadeus the first time I watched it, but it was still a good
film. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message