POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 24 Jun 2010 16:48:33
Message: <4c23c4a1$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> I just watched Moon. 80% on IMDB, 89% on RottenTomatoes. People compare it
> to 2001 and Solaris. Those people should be shot.

While the comparison to 2001 and Solyaris is clearly insane, I did
rather like Moon, but I tend to not be bothered by inconsistencies in a
movie.  I also think that there have been some pretty good sci-fi films
recently.  Although not on par with, say, the mid-80s, it seems like
there are about as many "good" sci-fi films as is average.  For
instance, in the past 5-6 years I've greatly enjoyed all of the films:

Children of Men
District 9
The Fountain
Primer
WALL-E

Also, even though they're not movies, I think there's been some very
good science fiction television shows recently.  Firefly and the remake
of Battlestar Galatica come to mind.