POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jun 2010 16:18:56
Message: <4c23bdb0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Well, that assumes that the book itself can be considered good sci-fi
> in the first place... :P

Well, sure. Obviously, there are some books that *are* considered good
sci-fi, at least by a large number of readers. There are even books that I'd
consider good sci-fi but which I personally didn't enjoy.

But many of the complaints I hear about "hard" science fiction, like
complaints about Blade Runner for example, are along the lines of "that
wasn't the same story as the book."  Not that there was anything
particularly wrong with the story as told, but only that it didn't meet the
expectations set by the book.

Of course, some complaints are completely valid. Like "why didn't the
department of pre-corrections turn off the eyeball access granted to the
fugitive murderer that used to be allowed in?" in Minority Report. A movie
which, I'll grant, was nothing at all like the book, and indeed completely
missed the entire point of the actual book story.

Didn't they make a Farenheit 451 movie? Was that any good? Or an Illustrated
Man movie?

There are huge numbers of "good" science fiction books that could be made
into decently good movies nowadays. Even some decent sci-fi I've read that
you could make suspenseful and all that good stuff without a huge budget.

What I want to know is why virtually every monster movie is zombies,
vampires, or werewolves? With maybe an occasional killer robot or black
lagoon creature thrown in.  Can't a horror writer come up with a decent
original monster?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly