POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  The computer project (Message 111 to 120 of 180)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: The computer project
Date: 13 Jun 2010 14:26:39
Message: <4c1522df$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> manually incriment/decriment it, which will be absurdly tedious. But it
>
> Welcome to writing a FORTH interpreter on the 6502!

What ever happened to FIRST?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Jun 2010 14:27:09
Message: <4c1522fd@news.povray.org>
>> Are you going to re-create the model in Dwarf Fortress? :P
>
> Did you see the post about making DF turing complete? Apparently you can
> connect waterfalls or dwarfs or something to do NAND gates and build an
> entire computer out of it.

And people tell *us* we're stupid for building a Turing-complete ray
tracer???

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: clipka
Date: 13 Jun 2010 14:35:17
Message: <4c1524e5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.06.2010 20:00, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

> I have a sinking feeling that if I went to the [extreme] expensive of
> getting an FPGA rig, I'd probably then find that I'm too stupid to make
> it do anything anyway! :-/

Nonsense.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 13 Jun 2010 15:07:10
Message: <4c152c5e$1@news.povray.org>
BTW, I guess it's possible to build an extremely-reduced-instruction-set
computer with just a single instruction: "Move", reading a data word
from one memory address and then storing it in another. All you'd have
to do would be to map math-op logic to a few dedicated memory locations;
e.g. reading from address 0003 might return the sum of the values stored
in 0000, 0001, address 0004 might return their difference, address 0005
might return the logical AND of memory locations 0000 and 0001, etc.
Even the PC might be stored in one particular address, so writing to
that would constitute an unconditional jump. A conditional branch could
be modeled by reading a status bit, expanding it to all bits of a word
(i.e. 0000 or FFFF), computing the logical AND of that mask and one
target address, as well as the logical AND of the mask's inverse and the
other target address, computing the sum or logical OR of both results,
and ultimately writing that value to the PC. (Alternatively a particular
bit in a particular memory address could specify whether the next
command is to be skipped or not.)

The Apollo guidance computer actually used such an approach for various
mathematical operations.

Post a reply to this message

> BTW, I guess it's possible to build an extremely-reduced-instruction-set
> computer with just a single instruction: "Move", reading a data word
> from one memory address and then storing it in another. All you'd have
> to do would be to map math-op logic to a few dedicated memory locations;
> e.g. reading from address 0003 might return the sum of the values stored
> in 0000, 0001, address 0004 might return their difference, address 0005
> might return the logical AND of memory locations 0000 and 0001, etc.
> Even the PC might be stored in one particular address, so writing to
> that would constitute an unconditional jump. A conditional branch could
> be modeled by reading a status bit, expanding it to all bits of a word
> (i.e. 0000 or FFFF), computing the logical AND of that mask and one
> target address, as well as the logical AND of the mask's inverse and the
> other target address, computing the sum or logical OR of both results,
> and ultimately writing that value to the PC. (Alternatively a particular
> bit in a particular memory address could specify whether the next
> command is to be skipped or not.)
>
> The Apollo guidance computer actually used such an approach for various
> mathematical operations.

That's hardcore RISC, man! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/