POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  The Babbage Flaw (Message 102 to 111 of 111)
From: somebody
Subject: Re: The Babbage Flaw
Date: 15 May 2010 23:07:28
Message: <4bef6170$1@news.povray.org>
news:4bec5247$1@news.povray.org...
> Warp wrote:
>
> >   When did that happen?
>
> Ah... 2005? Maybe? I'm not completely sure.
>
> > It either happened a decade ago, or the clerk was
> > really incompetent.
>
> It was definitely after 2000.
>
> >   Most people don't see anything wrong in copying commercial software.
> > Not even if their attitude is put into doubt from a moral and ethical
> > point of view.
> >
> >   What really grinds my gears with that kind of attitude is that it's
> > honest, paying customers who are paying for the software these people
> > are copying for free. These people may make up excuses in their minds
> > that they are just "stealing from a big rich company", when in fact what
> > they are doing is taking advantage of people who actually pay for the
> > software (and keep the "big rich company" alive).
> >
> >   I buy software (mostly games, as everything else is open source), and
> > part of that money I have earned and use to buy this software goes into
> > paying for the people who steal the software. They are abusing *my* hard
> > earned money. And that pisses me off.
>
> Yeah, I dislike illegally copying anything. Like, given the choice
> between copying one of my dad's CDs or just buying one for myself, I'd
> rather go buy myself one.
>
> It still makes me slightly nervous that I have an illegal copy of
> Borland TurboPascal 5.5 for DOS. I mean, as if Borland is going to
> *care* any more...

Probably not, as it sold out its compiler tools to Embarcadero and got
bought out itself. I hardly need to buy software anymore except for a few,
and Delphi used to be one of them. For all else, there are free and OS
alternatives. I do think, however, programmers have shot themselves in the
foot with the free software movement. No other professional segment is
foolish enough to give away their work for free.

Post a reply to this message