POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Babbage Flaw : Re: The Babbage Flaw Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Babbage Flaw
From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 May 2010 20:21:17
Message: <4bf5d1fd$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> OK, so how many of you are thinking "hmm, that sounds like me" right
>> now? ;-)
>
> **me too**
>
> It's unfortunate, though, that large corporations in the modern world don't have
> MORE Babbage types working for them (with the freedom to keep pushing for
> changes and improvements); it sure would eliminate lots of bad products from
> entering the marketplace--cars, software, etc.  Taking the time to actually get
> it 'right' in the first place seems to be a lost philosophy, among many
> companies...whether due to economic constraints or whatever. Something Babbage
> apparently didn't have to worry about.
>
> Of course, Babbage types need *some* constraints, imposed from
> outside--otherwise, we'd *never* get anything done. It's a tricky trade-off.

There is a line, and it's not always a fine one, between "broken" and
"could be better."  Too many companies let things that are clearly
broken (or would be clearly so if they bothered to look) out the door
because doing nothing pays off now, whereas doing something pays off
later.  It represents a basic refusal to make doing right by the
customer the first principle of business.

Regards,
John