POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Bl**dy election (part 2) (Message 226 to 235 of 365)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
Date: 3 May 2010 16:54:27
Message: <4BDF37FC.1050809@gmail.com>
On 3-5-2010 22:40, Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>>> Further, under US law, if they *did* find illegal substances in my
>>> car, if the traffic stop was not legal, they would not be able to
>>> prosecute because they would have lacked probable cause to pull me
>>> over in the first place.
>>
>>   That's one thing I have never understood.
>
> It discourages the police from breaking the law in the first place. In
> practice, people aren't going to put police in jail or otherwise punish
> them for catching criminals. If you believe there should be laws like
> this in the first place, the only reasonable way to enforce them is to
> take something away from the police when they break the rules, rather
> than add something (like punishment) when they break the rules.

I guess Warp's problem is that not only the police is 'punished' but the
society as a whole even more.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 3 May 2010 16:55:45
Message: <4bdf3851$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> The procedure is this:

Yep. That's pretty much how it works here, at least in theory. Of course,
who is going to check?

If the traffic rate is too high, it's also OK to stop every Nth person. But
you don't get to pick who you stop *after* you see them. You make the list
of which cars you'll stop before you even set up the blockade.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)