POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 3 May 2010 17:03:24
Message: <4bdf3a1c@news.povray.org>
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:22:04 -0400, Warp wrote:

> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

> >> When you say "race matters", look out, you're making a distinction
> >> based on race, whether you want to admit it or not.
> >
> >   On the contrary: I'm *not* making any distinction based on race. To me
> > it doesn't matter what race somebody might represent.

> Um, you are, if you say "90% of illegal immigrants are of Hispanic
> origin, so we should stop people of Hispanic origin in order to ensure
> they're here legally".  That's the textbook definition of racial
> profiling.

  You didn't understand me. I do not distinguish race as being any more
or less relevant than any other feature.

  If hair color can be used for some statistic, then so be it. If race can
be used for some statistic, then fine. I don't care. To me it's all the
same. I don't make any special distinction.

  Or in other words, I'm not hypersensitive about talking about race, as
so many other people seem to be. To me it's just as incosequential as a
subject as hair or eye color.

  If the distinguishing feature of some statistic happens to be race, and
you really want to call it "racial profiling", then I suppose I can't stop
you. It's just that the term "racial profiling" is always used in a very
negative sense, like it was a thousand times more outrageous than making
a statistic based eg. on gender or age groups. To me it's all the same.
I don't make any special distinction between them.

  I wish everybody else was like that too. I wish the world was a place
where you can talk about human races, make statistics about them and
whatever, freely and without any kind of worry, because it's just as
inconsequential as gender, age or shoe size.

  But no. If you start talking about races, making statistics and profiles,
you are immediately labeled as racist. Sheesh.

--
                                                          - Warp