POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: andrel
Date: 3 May 2010 17:34:44
Message: <4BDF416C.1040008@gmail.com>
On 3-5-2010 23:12, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I guess Warp's problem is that not only the police is 'punished' but
>> the society as a whole even more.
>
> It depends on whether you believe you caught the right person in the
> first place.

The assumption was that they caught somebody with illegal substances, so
yes they caught the right person.

> What lots of people seem to be forgetting in this thread is that by far,
> the vast majority of the population is *not* breaking the law.  If there
> were no limits on the techniques the police could use to find criminals,
> then the 99% of the people who are law-abiding would be subject to the
> same problems as the people who aren't. And the 99% of people who are
> law abiding are willing to let the guy with an open bottle of beer in
> the car go, so they don't get stopped and have the police rip *their*
> car apart in order to see if maybe there's any pot in a little baggy in
> the door panel or something.

You don't have to convince me. I just tried to explain what the problem
might be. It is very common for people to not understand this (or that
sentence ;) ). Often an underlying cause is that they see police as an
abstract group outside and above the society and not realize that
everyone of them is human. (Though, I assume nobody would express it
that way).