POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Bl**dy election (part 2) (Message 131 to 140 of 365)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
Date: 2 May 2010 16:18:22
Message: <4bddde0e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Well, I suppose people have the right to think that. I'm just wondering
> if that opinion comes from hard math or from political correctness.

I showed you the math.  It's actually pretty well known.

>> It's not a matter of "offend some people."  The people you're at risk of
>> offending are the majority of the people living where the law would be enforced.
>
>   Well, it sounds to me like offending some people.

Except in a democracy, when you offend the majority of the people, often the
laws get changed.

>   People often take their rights to privacy and freedom very seriously.

Rabidly so, here.

>>>   Apparently Britain is not one of those countries?
>
>> Apparently not.
>
>   What I meant was if you oppose that law in Britain, and why.

I'm not familiar with all the laws, but yes, if you don't check everyone,
then don't check anyone.

>> Not here.  It's illegal.  Why? Because people who drive SUVs didn't want to
>> get randomly stopped just because 0.1% of the people driving SUVs might be
>> intoxicated.
>
>   Is that so? Well, then that's something I don't agree with. I'm glad if
> this kind of police work reduces the risk of car accidents caused by drunken
> drivers. It increases my safety alongside everybody else's.

If it did, that would be a different story. But it doesn't.

If you stop people for driving drunk even when you can't tell they're drunk,
how does that reduce accidents?

>> It doesn't, and I explained why a couple of times.
>   Then we'll have to disagree on this particular example.

You can disagree with simple baysian inference math, but you'd be wrong.

>> Basically, people here are generally against getting arrested before a cop
>> knows a crime has been committed at all.
>
>   I'm not talking about arresting someone. I'm just talking about *checking*
> the alcohol levels of drivers.

That's being detained, at the least. We have this whole "innocent until
proven guilty" thing going on here. If there's *no* evidence you've done
anything wrong, why would you need to prove your innocence more than that?

Plus, you act like false positives are unheard of.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> >  Apparently not.
>    What I meant was if you oppose that law in Britain, and why.

Our SUS laws are still on the statute books but they are restricted to a
declared area for up to six hours. The police normally cannot stop

Remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyp1tyQ5s1A

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen