POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Sneakernet (Message 21 to 30 of 44)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Sneakernet
Date: 30 Apr 2010 10:07:48
Message: <4bdae434@news.povray.org>
>> I found the following quote on Wikipedia:
>>
>> "The theoretical capacity of a Boeing 747 filled with Blu-Ray discs is
>> 595,520,000 Gigabits, resulting in a 37,034.826 Gb/s flight from New
>> York to Los Angeles."
>>
>> Somebody bothered to compute this?!? o_O
>
> Or as a uni lecturer said to my data comms class (circa mid 1980's):
>
> "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a ute full of tapes speeding down
> the highway"

Heh, yeah!

> At the time we were learning about synchronous protocols operating over
> 1200bps links.

I wonder... What's the bandwidth of a punch-card reader/writer?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Subject: Re: "Up to" or "real"
Date: 30 Apr 2010 10:23:37
Message: <4bdae7e9$1@news.povray.org>
> Out of idle curiosity: have you actually measured data-transfer?

Several times, just last night I tried the BBC iPlayer diagnostic page and
it gave me 5.8 Mbit/s.  In my modem settings page it says it's connected at
60xx kbit/s usually.  Sometimes download speeds in windows go up to 600
Kbyte/s, it depends on where it's coming from.  I guess the theoretical
limit of my line might be 6 Mbit/s, but it would be a coincidence as my
package is only for 6 Mbit/s.

> I pay for 6Mbit/s but get only 3Mbit/s.

That's like my dad, he pays for 8Mbit/s (AFAIK all BT packages in the UK
offer 8Mbit/s) and only gets about 2.5 (according to the modem settings
page).

Post a reply to this message