POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet : Re: Sneakernet Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sneakernet
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 30 Apr 2010 12:17:59
Message: <4bdb02b7$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/05/2010 12:07 AM, Invisible wrote:
> I wonder... What's the bandwidth of a punch-card reader/writer?

Good question but I'm afraid I don't know off hand.

Suppose an 80 column card with 10 bits/column.  That is 800 bits per
card.  Maybe 20 cards per second through a reader ?  Could be higher
since those things were really impressive bits of engineering.

Something like 16K bps ?

Now cards were not generally used for arbitrary data.  For example in
many cases cols 73-80 were used for card sequence numbers.  Data was
often characters so only 6 or 7 bits of variability for most characters.
  Then the readers have to be fed.