POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet : Re: "Up to" or "real" Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Up to" or "real"
From: scott
Date: 30 Apr 2010 10:23:37
Message: <4bdae7e9$1@news.povray.org>
> Out of idle curiosity: have you actually measured data-transfer?

Several times, just last night I tried the BBC iPlayer diagnostic page and
it gave me 5.8 Mbit/s.  In my modem settings page it says it's connected at
60xx kbit/s usually.  Sometimes download speeds in windows go up to 600
Kbyte/s, it depends on where it's coming from.  I guess the theoretical
limit of my line might be 6 Mbit/s, but it would be a coincidence as my
package is only for 6 Mbit/s.

> I pay for 6Mbit/s but get only 3Mbit/s.

That's like my dad, he pays for 8Mbit/s (AFAIK all BT packages in the UK
offer 8Mbit/s) and only gets about 2.5 (according to the modem settings
page).