POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Baffling (Message 187 to 196 of 216)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Baffling
Date: 29 Apr 2010 04:05:13
Message: <4bd93db9$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> probably due more to server load than end-user bandwidth though.)
>
> Probably not.  Probably due to bottlenecks between you and the backbone.

Shouldn't that affect *all* traffic, not just YouTube?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 29 Apr 2010 04:06:01
Message: <4bd93de9@news.povray.org>
>> I don't follow.
>
> Netflix streaming video service.  I use it myself, generally get good
> results over a 3 Mbps (down) DSL connection.
>
> Or hulu.com.  Or BBC iPlayer for that matter.

BBC iPlayer I've actually used. The quality is not even close to what
you see on TV.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 29 Apr 2010 04:13:41
Message: <4bd93fb5$1@news.povray.org>
> BBC iPlayer I've actually used. The quality is not even close to what you
> see on TV.

What bandwidth did you have available at the time?

Try this page to check:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

After it's done the tests it tells you which services you can get in
realtime.  I've never used it, but I assume there are options for HD (3500
kbps), and various bandwidth versions for SDTV.  The top SDTV one is 1500
kbps, that should almost be broadcast quality.

Post a reply to this message