POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Context switching (Message 31 to 40 of 222)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Context switching
Date: 21 Apr 2010 14:38:34
Message: <4bcf462a$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:02:05 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Now, in fairness,
> as far as I can tell Windoze can't do this *at all*. But it was pretty
> hard to do from Linux either.

Windows = Internet Connection Sharing
Linux = at least with openSUSE 11.2, YaST -> Firewall -> Masquerading.
Two NICs need to be configured and running.  You can even set port
forwarding there.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 21 Apr 2010 15:04:23
Message: <op.vbi0lnxxufxv4h@xena>
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:32:17 +0200, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> I loved the Amiga, but I will grant you one thing: It wasn't so great at
> switching between windows. Each window had two "gadgets" (what we today
> call widgets), one to raise and one to lower the window. Today you just
> click on a window and it comes to the front, but the Amiga did not do
> this. You had to click the gadget.
>
> An obvious consequence of this is that if the gadget was hidden behind
> something else, it was impossible to bring the window to the front. Or
> rather, you'd have to lower whatever was obscuring it. Suffice it to say
> that you could occasionally get into tricky situations where a window
> would get "lost" and it was quite hard to bring it to the front.
>
> Initially I hated Windoze. Mostly because even on a PC with hardware far
> in advance of what the Amiga has, Windows was *vastly* slower. (Today of
> course, Windows is, as far as I can tell, the most useable OS available,
> whether you like it or not. Linux is a nice idea, but sadly it's too
> hard to use.)
>
> One innotation Windows did add was the Task Bar. With this handy gizmo,
> you can immediately access any window you have open. And then there's
> the Alt+Tab shortcut - invaluable on crappy laptops that don't have a
> real mouse.
>
> Today it seems to be all the rage for applications to have "tabbed"
> interfaces - most obviously web browsers, but also many other
> applications. And that raises a bit of a problem. If I'm trying to look
> at several things at once, and I want to switch between them,
> *sometimes* I need to click something on the taskbar at the bottom of
> the screen, and *sometimes* I need to click something on the tabbar at
> the top of the screen. And my primitive little monkey brain is too
> simple to get this right most of the time.
>
> Does anybody else have this problem? Or is it just me?

I love tabbed browsing. Then I have more space on the taskbar for all my
other windows.

When anyone else uses my PC at work they keep closing IE when they only
wanted to close a tab ;->

--
-Nekar Xenos-

"The spoon is not real"