POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2010 15:24:33
Message: <4bcf50f1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Yet Windows fails to provide such a simple and essential thing as a
> competent file search utility in Windows Explorer (the one at least in
> XP just doesn't work).

Agreed. But you're 2 generations back with that complaint. Vista fixed it so
it works well, and Vista is already obsolete.

Plus, it's a harder problem if you actually want it to be usable by
non-nerds. If I'm looking for "Richard" in my files, I don't want it pulling
up strings out of executables or inside "<Richard>" tags, even if I want it
pulling it out of "<author name='Richard'>".  I want to find "Clang" in my
ID3 tags, but not if it shows up as a random string inside the compressed
music stream.

>   Apparently Microsoft's idea of "easy to use" is to make it as hard to use
> as possible if you want to do anything even slightly more complicated.

More like "works well even for people who don't know how it works."

Combine that with "don't want to re-write code that's already available as a
free download", and you're set to understand what's going on.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)