POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Context switching (Message 133 to 142 of 222)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Context switching
Date: 22 Apr 2010 12:33:49
Message: <4bd07a6d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> I put the task bar on the side. I can probably put 40 tabs on there
>> before it gets close to full.
>
> Logically that makes sense - especially if you have a widescreen
> monitor. But that would just be too weird - for no better reason than
> "it's not what I'm used to".

It wasn't what I was used to etiher, but I got used to it really quickly. I
resisted for years myself.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2010 12:46:32
Message: <4bd07d68$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> I mean, I realise that hypothetically a regex can find things that a
>>> normal search can't. But in reality, when are you *ever* going to use
>>> that? What would it be useful for?
>>
>> For example, finding where in the file a symbol is defined instead of
>> used.
>>
>> I do that all the time. "Where is the definition of this macro?"
>
> As I say, I've never needed to do that. (Then again, I don't work with
> other people's code, only my own.)

Lucky you!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2010 12:53:27
Message: <4bd07f07$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> The symlink solution works OK until the upgrade from libxyz.1.2.so to
> libxyz.1.3.so breaks the program written to use libxyz.so. And dont tell
> me it doesn't happen, as I have not infrequently binary-edited libraries
> to change the strings there.

BTW, that said, I think it's more like this was a problem,a nd rather than
write code to fix the linker, people started making quicky patches using
symlinks.

Its a quick and simple solution to something that plagues MS for years and
years.  I just don't think it's the *right* solution.  I'm more of a code
and API kind of programmer than a file system and file format kind of
programmer.

>>   This is not a question of "bad configuration".
>
> Inadequate configuration. The program itself should be telling you which
> versions it's compatible with, and the loader should be enforcing that.
> The fact that you *can* do it with the file system doesn't mean that's a
> *good* way to do it. :-)

Oh, and you'll notice that Linux goes thru all the libraries when it starts
anyway to gather up version information, and you'll notice that GNU has
defined a library format that has a textual description of which libraries
you *really* want to load. Both of these are a better (IMO) solution than
using symlinks. And not because Windows doesn't have symlinks, but because
it's less fragile.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)