POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 22 Apr 2010 13:55:39
Message: <4bd08d9b@news.povray.org>
>>  From what I've seen, you can't touch COM unless you're programming in
>> C or C++.
>
> Nonsense. Every programming language and every scripting language
> supports COM that I've seen.

I've yet to find a language that can do it.

> Didn't you tell me Haskell has a COM interface?

Yes, but it doesn't compile on Windows. (That's The Real WTF, right
there!) Then again, a few people have hinted that it's possible to do
things like COM, ODBC, etc on Unix too...

> I know Tcl does.

With an extension? Or natively? I don't recall seeing anything about it
in the docs. (I did find DDE, however. And registry access.)

> OK, I'll grant that maybe postscript doesn't do COM. Whoops, nope, I
> take that back. Ghostscript supports COM.

PostScript does a lot more than many people realise...

> What language have you used on Windows that does *not* do COM? That
> would be like having a language on Linux that doesn't support
> environment variables.

Java, Smalltalk, Eiffel, JavaScript, Tcl, Haskell, POV-Ray (well, duh!)
As far as I know, none of them support it. (As I say, there's a Haskell
library, but it doesn't work. And even if it did, some documentation
would be nice...)

>> Last time I checked, neither WSH nor Power Shell comes with Windows.
>> You said "all of this is trivial using only the scripting tools that
>> come with Windows". So how exactly do you do this then?
>
> They both come with Windows.
>
> Obviously "last I checked" didn't include googling before you posted.

As I posted in another thread, it appears that WSH now comes with
Windows. Obviously this is kind of game-changing; it changes it from a
novel curiosity to something that might have a real-world use...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/