POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Context switching : Re: Context switching Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Context switching
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2010 14:28:50
Message: <4bd09562$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>>  From what I've seen, you can't touch COM unless you're programming
>>> in C or C++.
>>
>> Nonsense. Every programming language and every scripting language
>> supports COM that I've seen.
>
> I've yet to find a language that can do it.

I've named half a dozen. What languages do you use?

>> Didn't you tell me Haskell has a COM interface?
>
> Yes, but it doesn't compile on Windows.

Are you sure it's "it doesn't compile" and not "I don't know how to compile it"?

>> I know Tcl does.
>
> With an extension? Or natively? I don't recall seeing anything about it
> in the docs. (I did find DDE, however. And registry access.)

http://www.vex.net/~cthuang/tcom/

Extensions *are* native. Tcl is a language for writing extensions in.

>> What language have you used on Windows that does *not* do COM? That
>> would be like having a language on Linux that doesn't support
>> environment variables.
>
> Java, Smalltalk, Eiffel, JavaScript, Tcl, Haskell, POV-Ray (well, duh!)
> As far as I know, none of them support it.

In other words, you didn't take the time to google
java "com interface"
smalltalk "com interface"
eiffel "com interface"
tcl "com interface"
before you said you have no languages that support it.

Javascript per se doesn't, but jscript does, which is pretty much the same
thing with a different name.

OK, POV-Ray doesn't. It uses a different mechanism for some unknown reason
to supply the "GUI Extension" function.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)