POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Scientific Faith (Message 51 to 60 of 64)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Scientific Faith
Date: 30 Mar 2010 18:07:49
Message: <4bb27635$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> No, differential time- and lightspeeds are incompatible with lorentz
> invariance of physical laws, because they should be invariant under
> translation and uniform velocity changes.

I see what you mean. Yes, I agree. My bad.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 30 Mar 2010 22:38:05
Message: <4bb2b58d@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 30-3-2010 0:30, Darren New wrote:
>> How about the fact that the stars of the universe are all red-shifted
>> the farther they get from *us*?  Or the fact that we seem to be the only
>> creatures in the entire *universe* that broadcast radio signals?
>
> For the latter see the Drake equation.

Or: http://xkcd.com/718/

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 30 Mar 2010 22:40:53
Message: <4bb2b635@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

>>> For the latter see the Drake equation.
>>
>> I'm familiar with it. What about it?
>
> All we know that there are no radio signals broadcasted from a place
> exactly the right time ago to be just reaching us now, send towards us,
> and in a format that we recognize. Which is quite a long way away from a
> conclusion that no signals are send at all.

I keep wondering... Is humanity *constantly* broadcasting radio signals in a
simple format to nearby solar systems? What if aliens have a program exactly
like SETI@Home, trying to find intelligence in noise from received radio
signals, but neither party is sending anything?

Post a reply to this message

On 31-3-2010 4:40, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>> I'm familiar with it. What about it?
>> All we know that there are no radio signals broadcasted from a place
>> exactly the right time ago to be just reaching us now, send towards us,
>> and in a format that we recognize. Which is quite a long way away from a
>> conclusion that no signals are send at all.
>
> I keep wondering... Is humanity *constantly* broadcasting radio signals in a
> simple format to nearby solar systems? What if aliens have a program exactly
> like SETI@Home, trying to find intelligence in noise from received radio
> signals, but neither party is sending anything?

The major things we have been sending is FM (and AM) modulated radio and
TV. This is effectively a big signal in a very small bandwidth. If you
make a spectrum it will turn up as an unexpected peak above the
background. If you then become interested and look closer you will see
that the spectral contend is not compatible with a line originating from
an exited atom or molecule. So, if these aliens are at the right time
and place and have a SETI project running they will detect us in a
couple of centuries when the signal reaches them.
If they are listening but expect a different modulation scheme they
might just skip the lucille ball show as a strange artifact.

ATM AFAIK nobody is sending a deliberately simple encoded message. I
think the jury is not out on the question if that would be a good idea
at all.

Post a reply to this message

> The major things we have been sending is FM (and AM) modulated radio and
> TV. This is effectively a big signal in a very small bandwidth. If you
> make a spectrum it will turn up as an unexpected peak above the
> background. If you then become interested and look closer you will see
> that the spectral contend is not compatible with a line originating from
> an exited atom or molecule. So, if these aliens are at the right time and
> place and have a SETI project running they will detect us in a couple of
> centuries when the signal reaches them.

OOC how sensitive is the SETI equipment and project?  I mean how big must a
signal be from 200 ly away that we are able to detect it with that system?
Extrapolating from the Voyager power levels and distance, I make it that we
need a 350 GW signal to be transmitted from 200 ly away.  Is that realistic
to expect?

Post a reply to this message