POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: scott
Date: 1 Apr 2010 02:56:51
Message: <4bb443b3$1@news.povray.org>
> The major things we have been sending is FM (and AM) modulated radio and
> TV. This is effectively a big signal in a very small bandwidth. If you
> make a spectrum it will turn up as an unexpected peak above the
> background. If you then become interested and look closer you will see
> that the spectral contend is not compatible with a line originating from
> an exited atom or molecule. So, if these aliens are at the right time and
> place and have a SETI project running they will detect us in a couple of
> centuries when the signal reaches them.

OOC how sensitive is the SETI equipment and project?  I mean how big must a
signal be from 200 ly away that we are able to detect it with that system?
Extrapolating from the Voyager power levels and distance, I make it that we
need a 350 GW signal to be transmitted from 200 ly away.  Is that realistic
to expect?