POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: andrel
Date: 1 Apr 2010 18:01:24
Message: <4BB517B2.2060302@gmail.com>
On 1-4-2010 8:56, scott wrote:
>> The major things we have been sending is FM (and AM) modulated radio
>> and TV. This is effectively a big signal in a very small bandwidth. If
>> you make a spectrum it will turn up as an unexpected peak above the
>> background. If you then become interested and look closer you will see
>> that the spectral contend is not compatible with a line originating
>> from an exited atom or molecule. So, if these aliens are at the right
>> time and place and have a SETI project running they will detect us in
>> a couple of centuries when the signal reaches them.
>
> OOC how sensitive is the SETI equipment and project?  I mean how big
> must a signal be from 200 ly away that we are able to detect it with
> that system?

I don't know.

> Extrapolating from the Voyager power levels and distance, I
> make it that we need a 350 GW signal to be transmitted from 200 ly
> away.

The SETI equipment might even be somewhat more sensitive because they
are using larger disks. Then again they don't know what exact frequency
to tune into.

BTW I arrive at something more like 47 MW if the voyager is transmitting
all its power, which is unlikely, so the number could even be much lower.

> Is that realistic to expect?

If you really want to broadcast a message anything is realistic.