POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Scientific Faith (Message 25 to 34 of 64)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Scientific Faith
Date: 29 Mar 2010 12:22:44
Message: <4BB0D3D4.8020104@gmail.com>
On 29-3-2010 18:17, Darren New wrote:
> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>> Depends on the setup. Off the top of my head imagine a situation with
>> a night-guard on reception. The building is locked, but the alarms
>> aren't on. Now if the building can't be locked without the alarms
>> being activated that's a pointless function of the card.
>
> Yes, but that's not the problem. Indeed, that's how it works now.
>
> The problem is that the card unlocks the door but does *not* turn off
> the alarm. The right answer, in other words, is to disallow the card
> from unlocking the door if the alarm is already set. Because as it
> stands now, going into the building sets off the alarm, with no way to
> turn that off.

just do that a couple of times then they have to fix it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 29 Mar 2010 12:32:55
Message: <4bb0d637@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Just because these anomalies exist doesn't mean GR is bogus, even if
> > astrophysicists are scratching their heads with them.

> I would classify them under "measured wrong". I.e., there's something
> unaccounted for in the measurement.  I guess you could classify evil spirits
> as "unaccounted for". :-)

  It's just odd that it affects only flybys but not eg. satellites in orbit
or the Moon. Those work exactly like predicted by GR. (For example the
distance between the Earth and the Moon has been measured for 40 years
with an accuracy of about 1 cm, and this distance has changed exactly as
predicted by GR. There are tons and tons of other such measurements as well.
The flyby anomaly is an oddity with no currently known explanation.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message