POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific Faith : Re: Scientific Faith Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Faith
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Mar 2010 18:30:32
Message: <4bb12a08$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 28-3-2010 19:50, Darren New wrote:
>> Argumentative religious people often seem to comment that science
>> requires faith. Argumentative non-religious people say that's
>> nonsense, since there is evidence.  I contend that there are at least
>> two things most scientists take on faith, without supporting evidence:
>>
>> 2) Humans aren't special.
>
> I think there is evidence for that. Almost nothing in modern medicine or
> biology makes sense if we were special.

How about the fact that the stars of the universe are all red-shifted the
farther they get from *us*?  Or the fact that we seem to be the only
creatures in the entire *universe* that broadcast radio signals?

(I don't necessarily mean "special" in terms of biology-on-earth, but
special in a more universal sense.)

People don't say "the red shift shows everything is moving away from us" or
"humans happen to live where time passes fastest in the universe." They say
"the red shift shows everything is moving away from everything else."

(Actually, now that I think about it, "humans happen to live at the top of
the universe where time passes fastest" completely explains *both* those
bits of evidence. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,