POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Didn't someone ask... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Didn't someone ask... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Didn't someone ask...
Date: 12 Feb 2010 14:07:29
Message: <4b75a6f1@news.povray.org>
>> How is this any different to me just going out and buying a big computer?
>
> Or going out and buying a couple hundred big computers?  To do a
> week-long render? Then what?

The average person can't afford to buy a hundred big computers. But
then, the average person can't afford to rent a hundred big computers in
a cloud either. So it seems like a moot comparison to me.

>> (And as we all know, buying is usually cheaper than renting except for
>> one-offs.)
>
> It depends on how much you get with your rental. Maintenance? Backups?
> Rack space? Electricity?  Disaster planning? You still have to pay to
> run the things, and you still have to have stand-by capacity for overloads.

If things like maintenance, backups and disaster planning are important
to you, then yes, cloud computing probably makes a lot of sense. But if
you're just some dude trying to render stuff with POV-Ray, it makes far
less sense.

> Of course, with something like Amazon, you can rent until your capacity
> warrants buying processors. And then you can use Amazon to handle the
> overflow, or the seasonal rush, or the new product announcement, or
> whatever.

Only makes sense if you're using the system to provide a service to
somebody else. If you're just running a computation for your own benefit
then there aren't going to be "rushes" or "overflows".

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> The average person can't afford to buy a hundred big computers. But
> then, the average person can't afford to rent a hundred big computers in
> a cloud either.

Nonsense. Amazon's computers are like $0.09/hour.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing

100 "small" amazon computers are $9/hour.

> If things like maintenance, backups and disaster planning are important
> to you, then yes, cloud computing probably makes a lot of sense. But if
> you're just some dude trying to render stuff with POV-Ray, it makes far
> less sense.

It depends how fast you need things.

> Only makes sense if you're using the system to provide a service to
> somebody else. If you're just running a computation for your own benefit
> then there aren't going to be "rushes" or "overflows".

You asked for a good reason; I gave you several.  Some of us actually make
money with computers.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

>> The average person can't afford to buy a hundred big computers. But
>> then, the average person can't afford to rent a hundred big computers
>> in a cloud either.
>
> Nonsense. Amazon's computers are like $0.09/hour.
>
> http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing
>
> 100 "small" amazon computers are $9/hour.

...which works out to $216/day or $1,512/month - which is slightly
outside most people's budget.

By contrast, buy a big computer, put it in your loft, leave it running
all year. It'll cost maybe £500 to buy in the first place, but at the
end of a year you'll have a finished result.

> You asked for a good reason; I gave you several.  Some of us actually
> make money with computers.

Some *companies* make money with computers; it's news to me that
individual people can do this.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/