POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Brain fail (Message 32 to 41 of 41)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Brain fail
Date: 16 Feb 2010 00:55:39
Message: <4b7a335b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> That seems to be talking about TMs, not CAs.

I can't believe I missed that.  Once I read enough to see that the was
the link I remembered I clearly didn't read enough extra to verify that
it was actually talking about a CA!  That'll learn me.  The overall gist
still seems relevant though.

> Sure. I just didn't find it interesting, given there *are* CAs that are
> known to be (and easily provable to be) turing complete.

Personally I find it interesting, but interesting in a "ok, that's sort
of neat" way rather than as providing any sort of fundamental insight.
I basically agree with your assessment otherwise though.

Post a reply to this message

>> Sure. I just didn't find it interesting, given there *are* CAs that
>> are known to be (and easily provable to be) turing complete.
>
> Personally I find it interesting, but interesting in a "ok, that's sort
> of neat" way rather than as providing any sort of fundamental insight. I
> basically agree with your assessment otherwise though.

Well, yeah. I mean, it was interesting that something as simple as a tiny
linear CA could be made turing complete without actually obviously emulating
a machine. I didn't find it "fundamentally" interesting. Certainly not
something I'd call a "new science" for example. I.e., I think I'm agreeing
with you.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do