POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Brain fail : Re: Brain fail Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brain fail
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2010 12:29:13
Message: <4b7ad5e9$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Sure. But a UTM is carefully *designed* to be universal. Wolfram asserts
> that many kinds of things "just happen to be" universal.

No, he asserts that many things just happen to be capable of being designed
to be universal. A UTM is just the kind of TM that's universal. Rule 110 is
only universal if you initialize it with the appropriate program in the
cells to start with.

> demonstrates that just one of them is definitely Turing-complete.

It's turing complete only when running on the right program, initialized
with the right set of data on the cells. 110 itself doesn't calculate
anything except what rule 110 says to calculate.

>>> (Presumably such a result would include deciding exactly when a
>>> simple system is or isn't Turing-complete.)
>>
>> We already have that too.
>
> Really? So you can tell me exactly which CAs are or aren't
> Turing-complete then?

Sure. The ones that can emulate arbitrary turing machines are turing
complete. :-)  Oh, you mean, can I tell that just by looking without doing
any mathematical proofs? No. :-)

> Yeah, even after reading NKS, I'm still not *exactly* sure what he was
> getting at. Maybe he isn't either...

He's getting at "Hey! Hey, look at me! I should be famous!"

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do