POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Probability question (Message 19 to 28 of 38)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Probability question
Date: 8 Feb 2010 13:38:41
Message: <4b705a31$1@news.povray.org>

>> Right. So what you're actually saying is that you can't compute the
>> confidence interval exactly using a finite number of applications of a
>> particular arbitrarily chosen set of functions - the elementary
>> functions.
>
> That is indeed the definition.
>
> This obviously doesn't matter for scott's case since he just wants a
> numeric answer and Excel seems to have erf built in, I just wanted to
> point out that far from being "relatively easy" to work out, the
> cumulative distribution function of a Gaussian is generally the first
> function people encounter which is impossible to actually compute in
> closed form (normally this will come up in first or second year calculus
> at some point).  I'll agree that at first glance it certainly *looks*
> like it would be simple to compute though, which is part of why it's
> interesting.

Well, the sine and cosine functions can't be computed by a finite number
of additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions and exponents.
But since sine and cosine are included in the arbitrary "set of
permissible functions", they don't count. But erf is not, so it does count.

To me, it seems that approximating erf (or its inverse) is no harder
than approximating a sine or cosine - and we do that all day.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Well, the sine and cosine functions can't be computed by a finite number
> of additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions and exponents.

  They can if you allow the parameters to be complex numbers (which is why
trigonometric functions are included in the set of elementary functions).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, the sine and cosine functions can't be computed by a finite number
>> of additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions and exponents.
>
>   They can if you allow the parameters to be complex numbers (which is why
> trigonometric functions are included in the set of elementary functions).

OK, but that just brings us back to the fact that the exponential
operator has to be approximated. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Nice, that link crashed my browser :) Clearly Microsoft and KDE don't like
each other.

Post a reply to this message

>> Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> Well, the sine and cosine functions can't be computed by a finite
>>> number of additions, subtractions, multiplications, divisions and
>>> exponents.
>>
>>   They can if you allow the parameters to be complex numbers (which is
>> why
>> trigonometric functions are included in the set of elementary functions).
>
> OK, but that just brings us back to the fact that the exponential
> operator has to be approximated. ;-)

Did you read the Wikipedia page on closed form expressions?  It's not
very long and all of these points are addressed there.

Post a reply to this message