POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Probability question : Re: Probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probability question
From: scott
Date: 9 Feb 2010 05:46:28
Message: <4b713d04@news.povray.org>
>> Not really more complex, just a game that is played repeatedly and you
>> have a certain % chance of winning (say 57%).  I just want to know if you
>> play 10,100, 1000 times what is the *likely* number of wins in some kind
>> of worst case and best case scenario.  ie it's obviously possible to win
>> every single game, but that is *really* unlikely, I want to know how many
>> you'd win with 90% or 99% confidence.
>
> Right. So it's ye olde "2SD = 95% confidence" rule then.

Indeed.  It turns out in my game that you break even if you win 54% of the
time, and in practise you can only realistically expect to win 57% of the
time if you are good at the game.  These two facts mean that after even 1000
games there is still a huge variation in how much profit you can expect to
make - 95% confidence you will make between -7 and 607 arbitrary units of
profit.