POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Probability question : Re: Probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probability question
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Feb 2010 04:20:59
Message: <4b7128fb$1@news.povray.org>
>> ...OK, just read it. Doesn't seem to address very much.
>
> I was thinking of:
>

> trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions)."
>
> and
>
> "For purposes of numeric computations, being in closed form is not in
> general necessary, as many limits and integrals can be efficiently
> computed."
>
> Which seem to exactly cover both of the points you recently mentioned,
> but perhaps I misunderstood what points you were making.

Oh, I see. I thought it was going to say something more insightful than
that. (How the hell do you compute a limit or an integral anyway?)

>> Also, I've often wondered how the **** you compute something like the
>> Gamma function or the Bessel-J function. I mean, have you *seen* the
>> definition?!
>
> Yes.  If you take a look at the Wikipedia article for the gamma function
> you'll see that it includes a couple of nice representations in terms of
> infinite products.

But you can't compute an infinite product.

> The Bessel functions seem a bit more involved, but
> it has representations in terms of a sum over terms involving the gamma
> function, a hypergeometric series, and a recursive relation to a
> continued fraction -- so there seem to be many ways to go about
> computing it (I didn't look up what the standard approach in practice was).

Uh...OK.

> I know that you say that you have trouble digesting the Wikipedia
> articles on these in full (entirely understandable, they are very dense
> and not always well written) but you still can answer these questions by
> spending a minute or two just skimming over them without trying to
> understand everything.

Heh. Some of them explain things quite clearly, but others are
incomprehensible. That's the trouble with a reference source written by
bored Internet surfers; first it's a reference, not an introduction, and
second the quality is *highly* variable. ;-)