POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Illumination Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Illumination (Message 1 to 10 of 48)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Illumination
Date: 4 Feb 2010 16:02:11
Message: <4b6b35d3@news.povray.org>
You know how in Doom, Quake, Quake II, HalfLife, HalfLife II, and
actually, just about *every* FPS ever made, the rooms all have
flickering lights in them?

Well, that's how my bedroom is now.

Yesterday the stupid high-efficiency light thingy worked perfectly.
Tonight it's started flickering, and as the minutes go by it's rapidly
getting worse and worse. Initially the brightness just waivered
slightly, but now it's flashing on and off, faster and faster (and
making that irritating "pinging" noise).

GOD this is annoying! >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> You know how in Doom, Quake, Quake II, HalfLife, HalfLife II, and
> actually, just about *every* FPS ever made, the rooms all have
> flickering lights in them?
>
> Well, that's how my bedroom is now.
>
> Yesterday the stupid high-efficiency light thingy worked perfectly.
> Tonight it's started flickering, and as the minutes go by it's rapidly
> getting worse and worse. Initially the brightness just waivered
> slightly, but now it's flashing on and off, faster and faster (and
> making that irritating "pinging" noise).
>
> GOD this is annoying! >_<

Go down to the basement and fetch another one. Thanks for sharing this.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Feb 2010 04:16:42
Message: <4b6be1fa$1@news.povray.org>
>> You know how in Doom, Quake, Quake II, HalfLife, HalfLife II, and
>> actually, just about *every* FPS ever made, the rooms all have
>> flickering lights in them?
>>
>> Well, that's how my bedroom is now.
>>
>> Yesterday the stupid high-efficiency light thingy worked perfectly.
>> Tonight it's started flickering, and as the minutes go by it's rapidly
>> getting worse and worse. Initially the brightness just waivered
>> slightly, but now it's flashing on and off, faster and faster (and
>> making that irritating "pinging" noise).
>>
>> GOD this is annoying! >_<
>>
> Go down to the basement and fetch another one. Thanks for sharing this.

Actually, I replaced the stupid energy-saving light with a normal one,
and now it works fine. (Although I scalded myself on the old bulb.)

The worrying thing, though, is that apparently the EU is trying to make
it illegal to sell normal (i.e. WORKING) lights...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 5 Feb 2010 09:20:02
Message: <web.4b6c2884b6d713c235b39e120@news.povray.org>
> You know how in Doom, Quake, Quake II, HalfLife, HalfLife II, and
> actually, just about *every* FPS ever made, the rooms all have
> flickering lights in them?
>
> Well, that's how my bedroom is now.
>
> Yesterday the stupid high-efficiency light thingy worked perfectly.
> Tonight it's started flickering, and as the minutes go by it's rapidly
> getting worse and worse. Initially the brightness just waivered
> slightly, but now it's flashing on and off, faster and faster (and
> making that irritating "pinging" noise).
>
> GOD this is annoying! >_<

hey, this would be a perfect entry on twitter.  If only you trimmed it a bit. :)

there's still time:
http://twitter.com/MathOrchid

:D

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Feb 2010 10:00:50
Message: <4b6c32a2$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> hey, this would be a perfect entry on twitter.  If only you trimmed it a bit. :)
>
> there's still time:
> http://twitter.com/MathOrchid
>
> :D

Question: What the hell *is* Twitter anyway? I can't figure out the
point of it...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 5 Feb 2010 10:38:10
Message: <4b6c3b62$1@news.povray.org>
> Yesterday the stupid high-efficiency light thingy worked perfectly.
> Tonight it's started flickering, and as the minutes go by it's rapidly
> getting worse and worse.

My boss put them in his garage - except they won't turn on if it's too cold
outside.

Also my mum can't use them because all her rooms have dimmer switches,
apparently some are compatible with dimmers, but they cost 10x.

Really, the EU should have waited until a proper alternative was available
before banning conventional bulbs.

I think LED lighting is the future.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Feb 2010 10:43:46
Message: <4b6c3cb2$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Really, the EU should have waited until a proper alternative was
> available before banning conventional bulbs.

Affirmative.

> I think LED lighting is the future.

LEDs are very efficient, but I haven't yet seen any that can produce
really high lighting levels.

PS. My room seems so much brighter now...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 5 Feb 2010 10:56:49
Message: <4b6c3fc1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Really, the EU should have waited until a proper alternative was
>> available before banning conventional bulbs.
>
> Affirmative.

By the time they get down to banning 40W bulbs something should exist - I
also assume the extra money poured into the industry by the 100W ban will
result in more R&D work on better designs.

> LEDs are very efficient, but I haven't yet seen any that can produce
> really high lighting levels.

The issue with LEDs is that even though they are more efficient, they are
still not very efficient at all at converting electricity to light.  Also,
because they are semiconductors, they only work up to about 100 degrees C
before getting fried.

Apparently you can get a 13W LED light bulb that creates the same light as a
normal 100W bulb - but it has a heatsink and a fan!

Anyway, LEDs are always getting more efficient, so we just have to wait.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Feb 2010 11:25:45
Message: <4b6c4689$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Anyway, LEDs are always getting more efficient, so we just have to wait.

I hear that organisms such as fireflies use a bioluminescense system
which is approximately 98% effecient. I wonder why nobody is researching
that...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 5 Feb 2010 11:35:00
Message: <web.4b6c480cb6d713c235b39e120@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>
> > hey, this would be a perfect entry on twitter.  If only you trimmed it a bit. :)
> >
> > there's still time:
> > http://twitter.com/MathOrchid
> >
> > :D
>
> Question: What the hell *is* Twitter anyway? I can't figure out the
> point of it...

The point is to log what you're doing *right now*.  Doesn't matter how
irrelevant it is, there's an audience of followers ready to listen/read.  Even
if they are just spammers.

It has a certain appeal with obssessive-compulsive people:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/23/

but certainly has many other good uses:
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-10-04/