POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Illumination : Re: Illumination Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illumination
From: scott
Date: 5 Feb 2010 10:56:49
Message: <4b6c3fc1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Really, the EU should have waited until a proper alternative was
>> available before banning conventional bulbs.
>
> Affirmative.

By the time they get down to banning 40W bulbs something should exist - I
also assume the extra money poured into the industry by the 100W ban will
result in more R&D work on better designs.

> LEDs are very efficient, but I haven't yet seen any that can produce
> really high lighting levels.

The issue with LEDs is that even though they are more efficient, they are
still not very efficient at all at converting electricity to light.  Also,
because they are semiconductors, they only work up to about 100 degrees C
before getting fried.

Apparently you can get a 13W LED light bulb that creates the same light as a
normal 100W bulb - but it has a heatsink and a fan!

Anyway, LEDs are always getting more efficient, so we just have to wait.