POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The question continues Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  The question continues (Message 67 to 76 of 126)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: The question continues
Date: 1 Feb 2010 14:30:24
Message: <4b672bd0@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Linux *is* Unix
>>
>> No, it isn't.  Linux is at best a derivative of Minix.  It's UNIX-like,
>> perhaps, but it's not Unix.
>
> Care to explain that one?

Well, Linux is a kernel; what you download in distros is GNU/Linux, and GNU
*stands* for "GNU is Not Unix" :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 1 Feb 2010 14:46:27
Message: <4b672f93@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Well, Linux is a kernel; what you download in distros is GNU/Linux, and GNU
> *stands* for "GNU is Not Unix" :)

  "This name was chosen because GNU's design is Unix-like, but differs from
Unix by being free software and containing no Unix code."

  Well, I suppose you *could* define "a Unix operating system" as
"proprietary operating system containing code from the original OS
named 'Unix'". However, that's not what the vast majority of people
*mean* when they use the term "unix". Being free or proprietary has
nothing to do with it, and "a unix OS" means "behaves like Unix", not
"has code from the original Unix".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Well, Linux is a kernel; what you download in distros is GNU/Linux, and GNU
> *stands* for "GNU is Not Unix" :)

Oh snap!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

> and "a unix OS" means "behaves like Unix", not
> "has code from the original Unix".

Wouldn't most any POSIX-compliant OS fit this definition?