POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The question continues Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  The question continues (Message 57 to 66 of 126)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The question continues
Date: 1 Feb 2010 12:21:33
Message: <4b670d9d$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 09:07:08 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> At least here in the US, salary information is considered confidential
>
> That's usually more a per-company kind of thing. But most companies want
> it that way, so they put it in the rules. It's not any sort of law or
> anything. And some salaries at the top are required to be disclosed.

True, especially in public companies.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Feb 2010 12:24:46
Message: <4b670e5e@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:34:08 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> Linux *is* Unix
>>
>> No, it isn't.  Linux is at best a derivative of Minix.  It's UNIX-like,
>> perhaps, but it's not Unix.
>
> Care to explain that one?

http://stason.org/TULARC/os/linux-faq/007-Is-Linux-Unix.html

Short version, to be UNIX it has to be "blessed" by "The Open Group" and
Linux hasn't been.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Feb 2010 12:26:42
Message: <4b670ed2$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:42:29 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> > No, it isn't.  Linux is at best a derivative of Minix.  It's
>> > UNIX-like, perhaps, but it's not Unix.
>
>> Care to explain that one?
>
>   By that definition there is no Unix OS in existence today.

Actually, Mac OSX, AIX, and Solaris are a few examples of systems that
are UNIX as defined by The Open Group, who owns the trademark.

Linux isn't on that list.

Jim

Post a reply to this message