POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Do even know how to title this one Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Do even know how to title this one (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Do even know how to title this one
Date: 20 Jan 2010 19:37:13
Message: <4b57a1b9$1@news.povray.org>
Yesterday after I finished teaching customer relations and map reading
to my group of prospective taxi drivers, a small Bengali man, who had
been sitting front row center and applying himself to my lessons with
smiling assiduity made a point of shaking my hand and complimenting me
on my teaching at the end of the day.  Not so unusual, Bengali's, I have
found, are very respectful of education and educators.  In general they
are a delight to have in the classroom and on some rare occasions they
have wanted me to pose in photos with them.  Today the subject was Rules
and Regs and the same man was front row center smiling pleasantly all
day, always very serious about note taking and doing the in class
exercises.  At the end of class today, once again he came up to me and
complimented me on my teaching style and expressed again and again how
pleased he was to have had me as a teacher.  Again I thanked him.  After
answering some other questions he came up to me again, and again the
handshake and the compliments and thank yous.  As I continued to pack up
my things back at the 'desk' at the front of the room, once again he
comes over and shakes my hand, again so pleased to have had me as a
teacher.  So again smiles all around.  Now, he suddenly drops to the
floor and starts putting his hands on my Nike's, as I step back he
kneels in front of me more formally and performs some form of
genuflection that involved kissing his own fingertips, pressing them on
the toes of my shoes and then to his own forehead several times.  Talk
about your gob-smacked! I was simply astonished.  Then he stands back
up, yet another smiley handshake and he quickly moves to exit the room.
  All I could do was to give him a sort of goofy, exaggerated thumbs up.
  Dunno what to think about that one.  Won't be teaching him tomorrow,
which is good, not sure I want to know what comes next.

Post a reply to this message

Great story, Jim - always fun to hear your stories, I really miss the
blog.  :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>  Dunno what to think about that one.  Won't be teaching him tomorrow,
> which is good, not sure I want to know what comes next.

sad to think like this, but I hope not a bomb.

Post a reply to this message

>>  Dunno what to think about that one.  Won't be teaching him tomorrow,
>> which is good, not sure I want to know what comes next.
>
> sad to think like this, but I hope not a bomb.
Mmmm nah, Bengali's seem to want to westernize.  Almost every one I have
met is studying Accounting.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 20 Jan 2010 20:21:55
Message: <4b57ac33@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Jim Charter wrote:
>>>  Dunno what to think about that one.  Won't be teaching him tomorrow,
>>> which is good, not sure I want to know what comes next.
>>
>> sad to think like this, but I hope not a bomb.
> Mmmm nah, Bengali's seem to want to westernize.  Almost every one I have
> met is studying Accounting.

The guy who would explode the airplane studied in a high-class western
University.

of course, I'm not saying he's a terrorist, but the thought comes to
mind, doesn't it?  I think terrorists are cold-blooded though, not this
warmth...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 21 Jan 2010 08:38:24
Message: <4b5858d0$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Jim Charter wrote:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>>
>>> sad to think like this, but I hope not a bomb.
>> Mmmm nah, Bengali's seem to want to westernize.  Almost every one I
>> have met is studying Accounting.
>
> The guy who would explode the airplane studied in a high-class western
> University.
>
> of course, I'm not saying he's a terrorist, but the thought comes to
> mind, doesn't it?

Well yeah, but basically I am immersed in it.  But more in my face is
just the general ruthlessness of many of these guys, which they take out
on their customers by gouging them, not with bombs.  I am actually more
suspicious of one of my fellow instructors, born in the US, of Pakistani
heritage, who is often with lines about how much he hates it here
relative to Pakistan, how he is only here for the money.