POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In my limited experience... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  In my limited experience... (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: In my limited experience...
Date: 16 Jan 2010 14:27:41
Message: <4b52132d@news.povray.org>
> The API I'm using, for example, isn't documented. All you have is the "test"
> program, which is about 8000 lines of top-level code (i.e., all in main())
> with no comments. Good luck figuring that out.

  The joys of spaghetti code. Structured programming and especially
modularity is for wimps.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 16 Jan 2010 14:39:55
Message: <4b52160b@news.povray.org>
> I hate to say this, but Java was *designed* for embedded programming.

  I wonder about their design choices given that it was intended originally
for *embedded* (rather than desktop) systems. "Embedded system" usually
implies extremely low amount of RAM and very slow processors (especially
back when Java was first designed). Even if the Java program could be
compiled to native machine code for the target system (are there any such
compilers in actuality, for any embedded system?) which would mostly solve
the speed problem, it would still suffer from the memory consumption problem.

  No statically allocatable objects (including no support for arrays of
objects) and all objects always having dynamic binding means inevitably
increased memory consumption. (Also constant allocation/deallocation of
objects induces memory fragmentation, increasing overall memory consumption
as time passes, unless the system implements some form of memory
defragmentation scheme, which might be implausible for an embedded system,
especially at that time.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> 1) phone is always on so whatever the java startup cost is hidden

"Startup cost" for Java is pretty low if you're serving everything out of
RAM. It's copying it from disk to RAM that's the main 'startup cost'.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

>> 1) phone is always on so whatever the java startup cost is hidden
>
> "Startup cost" for Java is pretty low if you're serving everything out
> of RAM. It's copying it from disk to RAM that's the main 'startup cost'.

that too.

Post a reply to this message