POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In my limited experience... : Re: In my limited experience... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In my limited experience...
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jan 2010 15:00:40
Message: <4b521ae8@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I hate to say this, but Java was *designed* for embedded programming.
>
>   I wonder about their design choices given that it was intended originally
> for *embedded*

I think the idea was that they were targeting two primary things:

1) Portability, so you didn't have to rewrite your EPG-download code over
again every time you released a new cable modem in your set-top box, and

2) Reliability, because when you have 100,000 customers, a crash for 1% of
them once a month is a fatal problem.

I would imagine stuff like codecs would still be native code. It's the stuff
like user interfaces and interfacing to the provisioning systems you'd want
to be portable.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do