POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  FOSS annoyances (Message 1 to 10 of 33)
From: Darren New
Subject: FOSS annoyances
Date: 30 Dec 2009 07:57:50
Message: <4b3b4e4e$1@news.povray.org>
Somehow, I always find it amusing how many FOSS programs assume Windows is
basically how it was in Win98 and completely fail to do the right thing.

For example, languages in which the call to "open" doesn't let you specify
how to lock the file, calls to get the owner of the file fail on Windows as
if there isn't any such concept, the ubiquitous assumption that Windows
doesn't have hard or soft links, and stuff like
"""
On Windows, HOME and USERPROFILE will be used if set, otherwise a
combination of HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE will be used. An initial ~user is
handled by stripping the last directory component from the created user path
derived above.
"""
which in other words means "we haven't bothered to find the API call that
tells you where a particular user's home directory is in Windows, so we'll
assume they're all subdirectories of the same parent directory, even tho
this isn't true in UNIX either."

And some people wonder why FOSS feels klunky on Windows.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> Somehow, I always find it amusing how many FOSS programs assume Windows is
> basically how it was in Win98 and completely fail to do the right thing.

  Well, you can always demand your money back.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> which in other words means "we haven't bothered to find the API call that
> tells you where a particular user's home directory is in Windows, so we'll
> assume they're all subdirectories of the same parent directory, even tho
> this isn't true in UNIX either."

My guess is that that won't change while the portable C stdlibs they use don't
get updated to more modern times to cope with extra features... when in doubt,
use the lowest common denominator.

> And some people wonder why FOSS feels klunky on Windows.

I merrily don't.  Windows always felt klunky to me.

Post a reply to this message

>> Somehow, I always find it amusing how many FOSS programs assume Windows is
>> basically how it was in Win98 and completely fail to do the right thing.
>
>   Well, you can always demand your money back.

Sometimes you're extremely predictable.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)