POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances : FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  FOSS annoyances
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Dec 2009 07:57:50
Message: <4b3b4e4e$1@news.povray.org>
Somehow, I always find it amusing how many FOSS programs assume Windows is
basically how it was in Win98 and completely fail to do the right thing.

For example, languages in which the call to "open" doesn't let you specify
how to lock the file, calls to get the owner of the file fail on Windows as
if there isn't any such concept, the ubiquitous assumption that Windows
doesn't have hard or soft links, and stuff like
"""
On Windows, HOME and USERPROFILE will be used if set, otherwise a
combination of HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE will be used. An initial ~user is
handled by stripping the last directory component from the created user path
derived above.
"""
which in other words means "we haven't bothered to find the API call that
tells you where a particular user's home directory is in Windows, so we'll
assume they're all subdirectories of the same parent directory, even tho
this isn't true in UNIX either."

And some people wonder why FOSS feels klunky on Windows.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)