POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances : Re: FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOSS annoyances
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Dec 2009 13:56:53
Message: <4b3ba275$1@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Somehow, I always find it amusing how many FOSS programs assume Windows
>> is basically how it was in Win98 and completely fail to do the right thing.
>>

> I wouldn't limit this strictly to FOSS.

True. It mostly annoys me in big programs, tho, like language interpreters
for example.

As "nemesis" pointed out, it's more a problem in the use of C portability
layers than anything, which is excusable for small one-off programs. But if
you're going to port an X-windows based graphics system to Windows, you'd
think it would be easy to fix some of the other stuff too.

Of course it's FOSS, and if you don't need that, you're not going to
implement it. I understand that, which is why I find it amusing. Personally,
I'd be embarrassed to do something like porting Ruby or Python to Windows
without fixing such a thing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)