POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  FOSS annoyances (Message 24 to 33 of 33)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: FOSS annoyances
Date: 31 Dec 2009 12:10:01
Message: <web.4b3cda95b3b9fd904dde96ee0@news.povray.org>
> ...the program uses the GTK+ look and feel, rather than behaving like a
> native Windows application?

I'm pretty sure Gimp on Windows uses the Windows (2000) look and feel.  It
doesn't use its API, though, it instead uses GTK file dialogs and others.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 31 Dec 2009 12:13:06
Message: <4b3cdba2$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Or, more likely, "we just took our C sources and recompiled them on
>>> top of a POSIX emulator, so we can't do anything that POSIX doesn't
>>> support / the emulator doesn't implement".
>>
>> Yes. Altho I don't think that's really the case.
>
> It is sometimes.

Sure. I meant, I don't think it's really the case that the entire Python
language suite was ported simply by recompiling with cygwin. I might be
wrong, but it seems like a rather large program for that sort of easy technique.

> I know *I* am. But it's not like you can do anything about it... I used
> to think you could, but apparently you can't.

You can give up. Or get away from anything even remotely cutting-edge or
designed for clueful people.

I have noticed my XBox works great. It's very robust and forgiving. (I
haven't had any hardware problems, mind.) I attribute that to being aimed at
children.

> ...the program uses the GTK+ look and feel, rather than behaving like a
> native Windows application?

OK. I guess I don't know what GTK+ looks like enough to recognise that as
such. Motif, yes. Tcl/Tk and derivatives, yes.

> Than again, on Linux it seems each program has its own totally different
> look and feel, so...

Sometimes. There's at least three or four common ones.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> >> Yes. Altho I don't think that's really the case.
> >
> > It is sometimes.
>
> Sure. I meant, I don't think it's really the case that the entire Python
> language suite was ported simply by recompiling with cygwin. I might be
> wrong, but it seems like a rather large program for that sort of easy technique.

Certainly not.  But I don't think either it'd be as easy as submitting a patch
with the W32 calls in place.  I'm sure many people may have tried before and it
was ditched because it'd not be fine to have W32 calls right into the
multiplatform core.  Are you sure the MS Windows specific modules don't give you
some handy extra features?  msvcrt, in particular.

> I have noticed my XBox works great. It's very robust and forgiving. (I
> haven't had any hardware problems, mind.) I attribute that to being aimed at
> children.

apart from 3RLs, that is? ;)

> > ...the program uses the GTK+ look and feel, rather than behaving like a
> > native Windows application?
>
> OK. I guess I don't know what GTK+ looks like enough to recognise that as
> such. Motif, yes. Tcl/Tk and derivatives, yes.

Nowadays I'd say it's mostly the industrial or clearlooks look.  The GTK file
dialog is easily recognizable too.

Post a reply to this message