POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances : Re: FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOSS annoyances
From: nemesis
Date: 31 Dec 2009 12:45:01
Message: <web.4b3ce23db3b9fd904dde96ee0@news.povray.org>

> >> Yes. Altho I don't think that's really the case.
> >
> > It is sometimes.
>
> Sure. I meant, I don't think it's really the case that the entire Python
> language suite was ported simply by recompiling with cygwin. I might be
> wrong, but it seems like a rather large program for that sort of easy technique.

Certainly not.  But I don't think either it'd be as easy as submitting a patch
with the W32 calls in place.  I'm sure many people may have tried before and it
was ditched because it'd not be fine to have W32 calls right into the
multiplatform core.  Are you sure the MS Windows specific modules don't give you
some handy extra features?  msvcrt, in particular.

> I have noticed my XBox works great. It's very robust and forgiving. (I
> haven't had any hardware problems, mind.) I attribute that to being aimed at
> children.

apart from 3RLs, that is? ;)

> > ...the program uses the GTK+ look and feel, rather than behaving like a
> > native Windows application?
>
> OK. I guess I don't know what GTK+ looks like enough to recognise that as
> such. Motif, yes. Tcl/Tk and derivatives, yes.

Nowadays I'd say it's mostly the industrial or clearlooks look.  The GTK file
dialog is easily recognizable too.