POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : FOSS annoyances : Re: FOSS annoyances Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOSS annoyances
From: Darren New
Date: 31 Dec 2009 12:13:06
Message: <4b3cdba2$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Or, more likely, "we just took our C sources and recompiled them on
>>> top of a POSIX emulator, so we can't do anything that POSIX doesn't
>>> support / the emulator doesn't implement".
>>
>> Yes. Altho I don't think that's really the case.
>
> It is sometimes.

Sure. I meant, I don't think it's really the case that the entire Python
language suite was ported simply by recompiling with cygwin. I might be
wrong, but it seems like a rather large program for that sort of easy technique.

> I know *I* am. But it's not like you can do anything about it... I used
> to think you could, but apparently you can't.

You can give up. Or get away from anything even remotely cutting-edge or
designed for clueful people.

I have noticed my XBox works great. It's very robust and forgiving. (I
haven't had any hardware problems, mind.) I attribute that to being aimed at
children.

> ...the program uses the GTK+ look and feel, rather than behaving like a
> native Windows application?

OK. I guess I don't know what GTK+ looks like enough to recognise that as
such. Motif, yes. Tcl/Tk and derivatives, yes.

> Than again, on Linux it seems each program has its own totally different
> look and feel, so...

Sometimes. There's at least three or four common ones.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)