POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Why people don't like Star Wars I (Message 1 to 10 of 126)
From: Darren New
Subject: Why people don't like Star Wars I
Date: 18 Dec 2009 16:52:03
Message: <4b2bf983$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/watch-this-70-minute-video-review-of-star-wars-the-phantom-menace/

Actually a very good explanation, even tho the guy is trying to sound stupid
or something, he makes some good points.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
Date: 18 Dec 2009 18:06:45
Message: <4b2c0b05$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Actually a very good explanation, even tho the guy is trying to sound
> stupid or something, he makes some good points.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?!!?!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Dec 2009 18:31:26
Message: <4b2c10ce$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Actually a very good explanation, even tho the guy is trying to sound
> stupid or something, he makes some good points.

Even though he's pretending (?!) to be stark raving mad, he talks a lot
of sense...

I don't agree with everything he says. I actually *liked* certain
aspects of the film. But it was undebiably disappointing. And, until
now, I haven't been able to put my finger on why.

Now we need him to analyse The Matrix Reloaded. Although, really, I
guess there's not much to analyst. Neo is invincible. Smith is
invincible. And they're fighting... why? And they want the Keymaker
because...? He makes keys...? That do what...? So they can meet the
Architect...? Who does what...? Babbles some meaningless babble that
doens't really mean a lot...? And after that happens, the thing we've
been trying to achieve since the film started... What happens? Not a
lot, really...? So... uh... I've just watched several hours of film and
I *still* don't know anything I didn't know before. In fact, the film
has undone several of the things that were cool about the one before.

The first film made it look like Neo had transcended the Matrix and was
now an actual threat to the Agents and that big things were going to
change. But in Reloaded, it looks like the Matrix is now more or less
deserted, other than millions of copies of Smith, so do we even give a
**** what happens there any more?

Basically, the first film begins with a mystery, but by the end of it,
you have slowly established the rules of how this fictional universe
works. The Matrix isn't real, but it can still really kill you. The crew
are larger than life inside the Matrix, but while connected they're
vulnerable in the real world. The Agents are even larger than life, but
still not absolutely indescructible. But if you kill them, they will
still come back. But it does buy you some time. And so on and so forth;
the entire film goes about establishing these rules, sometimes in
surprising or shocking ways. And then, right at the end, Neo really does
transcend the rules as you've just come to understand them. And now he's
going to go out and kick arse.

...um, except that's not what happens in Reloaded. In fact, it seems to
fall into the trap of constructing a universe which either lacks rules,
or at least the rules aren't explained. Why would anybody give a fig
about a pair of invincible fighters fighting each other until one or the
other gets bored? If you don't understand how the world works, you don't
know what options a character has open to them. You can't tell if
something is a serious threat or just a minor problem. You can't empathise.

DAMNIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?!

I'm going to bed before I type more stuff...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/