POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Dec 2009 18:39:05
Message: <4b2c1299$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 23:31:36 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Now we need him to analyse The Matrix Reloaded.

Having re-watched all three Matrix films over the past week (had to test
our new sound system with *something*), let me take a crack at these
questions:

> Neo is invincible. Smith is
> invincible. And they're fighting... why?

For the future of the human race; humanity's survival.  Fairly typical
messiah story plotline in that regard.

> And they want the Keymaker
> because...? He makes keys...? That do what...?

Because the keys he makes open the system backdoors.

> So they can meet the
> Architect...? Who does what...? Babbles some meaningless babble that
> doens't really mean a lot...?

The Architect's speech for me basically boiled down to "people wouldn't
believe in the Matrix if it was too perfect or if there wasn't an
appearance of choice".  In a more 'meta' sense, it was about fate (and
whether there is fate or not - summed up a lot by the Oracle when she
says to Neo "remember, you don't believe in any of this 'fate' crap."

> And after that happens, the thing we've
> been trying to achieve since the film started... What happens? Not a
> lot, really...? So... uh... I've just watched several hours of film and
> I *still* don't know anything I didn't know before. In fact, the film
> has undone several of the things that were cool about the one before.

That was my first impression of the 2nd and 3rd; I still don't feel they
live up to the "promise" of the ending of #1 (and #1 is still the best in
my book), but rewatching them, the story made a lot more sense to me now
than it did when it came out.

> The first film made it look like Neo had transcended the Matrix and was
> now an actual threat to the Agents and that big things were going to
> change. But in Reloaded, it looks like the Matrix is now more or less
> deserted, other than millions of copies of Smith, so do we even give a
> **** what happens there any more?

The system evolved as Neo evolved.  He does transcend the Matrix, but
Smith does too (when he infects Bane).

The thing that surprised me during the rewatch that I hadn't noticed
before was who was left after the big fight at the end of Revolutions.
When it first came out, I thought it was Neo.  It isn't, and that
actually changed the ending for me rather significantly when I noticed
who it was.

Jim