POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Why people don't like Star Wars I (Message 117 to 126 of 126)
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Subject: Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
Date: 2 Jan 2010 11:45:14
Message: <op.u5wzhngb7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:18:43 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>   Given that all six films are basically about Anakin Skywalker, I wonder
> what the films 7-9 would have been about. Ewoks?

Pretty much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490479/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087225/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089110/

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2010 13:43:49
Message: <4b3f93e5@news.povray.org>
> I'm somewhat apprehensive about Avatar myself; my wife's
> got friends who are disabled, and they're quite unhappy about one of the
> central the ideas behind the film being that if you're disabled, you
> couldn't possibly live a normal life and the pinnacle of hope is that you
> could do something that made you not be disabled.

  I just went to see the movie, and I cannot understand that opinion.
I don't see anything like that in the movie (on the contrary, the disabled
person explicitly states at one point something along the lines of he not
going to let his disability stop him no matter what other people say).

  Either I'm missing something, or those people are criticizing the movie
without having seen it. (I haven't seen any trailer of the movie, as I never
watch those. I wonder if they got the impression from one.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm somewhat apprehensive about Avatar myself; my wife's
>> got friends who are disabled, and they're quite unhappy about one of the
>> central the ideas behind the film being that if you're disabled, you
>> couldn't possibly live a normal life and the pinnacle of hope is that you
>> could do something that made you not be disabled.
>
>   I just went to see the movie, and I cannot understand that opinion.
> I don't see anything like that in the movie (on the contrary, the disabled
> person explicitly states at one point something along the lines of he not
> going to let his disability stop him no matter what other people say).
>
>   Either I'm missing something, or those people are criticizing the movie
> without having seen it. (I haven't seen any trailer of the movie, as I never
> watch those. I wonder if they got the impression from one.)

Been there, said that, rinse and repeat. lol But, yeah, they are jumping
on it as a scape goat, based solely on one tiny bit of a trailer with a
guy in a wheel chair, and some false extrapolation from it. Basically
the same as you get every time in cases like this. There isn't much
point attacking something you *know* is being intentionally offensive,
apparently, but making up reasons to attack them because they *may be*,
and you have a huge chip on your shoulder this week... that makes
perfect sense, apparently.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Jan 2010 14:33:19
Message: <4b40f0ff$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:43:49 -0500, Warp wrote:

>   Either I'm missing something, or those people are criticizing the
>   movie
> without having seen it. (I haven't seen any trailer of the movie, as I
> never watch those. I wonder if they got the impression from one.)

Very possible.  I never claimed that they had seen it, since the opinion
was based on the trailers. <shrug>

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Jan 2010 14:34:33
Message: <4b40f149$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:10:13 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I can understand why it might piss some people off.
>
> I also remember a deaf friend (well, email-friend :-) getting pissed off
> because she couldn't win a video game, because she couldn't hear where
> the bad-guys were. (It might have been Thief, where a big part is
> figuring out where the enemy is based on the sound of their walking,
> talking, etc.)

There was a very interesting Q&A on Youtube with Gabe Newmann (sp?) that
he did with some deaf gamers - I found it very interesting.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Jan 2010 14:11:36
Message: <4b423d68$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

> No need.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dROyIwJ8_wE&fmt=22
>
> The less than spectacular CGI-Neo becomes more obvious roughly five
> minutes in, when the number of Smiths goes up.

That's the best YouTube video I think I've ever seen. Usually anything
on YouTube is horrifyingly pixelated and garbled, even on the highest
quality settings. Interesting...

Also, this video doesn't appear to match my memory. I wonder if the DVD
that I watched is a slightly different edit or something...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 4 Jan 2010 14:32:05
Message: <4b424235@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> That's the best YouTube video I think I've ever seen. Usually anything
> on YouTube is horrifyingly pixelated and garbled, even on the highest
> quality settings. Interesting...

How did you set the "quality settings" before?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Jan 2010 15:18:37
Message: <4b424d1d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>
>> No need.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dROyIwJ8_wE&fmt=22
>>
>> The less than spectacular CGI-Neo becomes more obvious roughly five
>> minutes in, when the number of Smiths goes up.
>
> That's the best YouTube video I think I've ever seen.

That is good quality. Too bad it was choreographed by either Lionel
Blair or the Tiller girls. ;)
--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Jan 2010 15:21:37
Message: <4b424dd1$1@news.povray.org>
>> That's the best YouTube video I think I've ever seen.
>
> That is good quality. Too bad it was choreographed by either Lionel
> Blair or the Tiller girls. ;)

Oh, hey, I was only referring to picture quality, not actual content. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Jan 2010 16:17:34
Message: <4b425aee@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> That's the best YouTube video I think I've ever seen.
>>
>> That is good quality. Too bad it was choreographed by either Lionel
>> Blair or the Tiller girls. ;)
>
> Oh, hey, I was only referring to picture quality, not actual content. ;-)

I know but I was just taken aback at the puerility of the fighting.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen